There’s some great resources on the web about local tourism. Here’s a page from Tourism Victoria on working with local communities. A round-up of the tips goes like this:
- Buy locally produced goods and services.
- Provide information to guests on the area’s cultural and natural characteristics and offer tips on how they can ensure that their own behaviour respects these characteristics. Encourage guests to purchase locally produced products and support local service providers (if your area would like help to coordinate something like this, we may be able to assist).
- Work with local partners to support projects that increase community well-being.
- Provide support for local schools.
- Offer work experience for one or more students residing in your local area and/or provide advice on job applications or interviews.
- Sponsor local events, sporting teams, etc