Roberta Styles-Wood’s training in PR, education, social policy, change, cultural heritage and design, her experience in challenging roles across multiple sectors, means she works to see businesses and communities thrive.
Here’s some highlights from a creative career:
- Childhood: Started producing a household newspaper (standout story was when dad got a papercut, I covered it all!) and other projects
- Worked as a youth volunteer for my local youth services after school, creating a Youth Information Centre and Young Women’s Group. Great experience.
- Travelled Europe and saw the great masterpieces, developed a love of cheese and wine!
- Eventually studied Public Relations at RMIT. Took to the idea of further studies and added a GradDipEd as well.
- Offered a job at Prince Henry’s Medical Research Centre, where I built the donor base and opened the doors to the community.
- Learnt black and white film photography (film was the only option at the time!) and learned the basic language of this new idea called ‘websites’.
- Won awards for my annual reports at Yarra Valley Water, where I also launched a statewide water education program. Great for learning about complex projects and tight deadlines.
- Developed a community engagement approach at VicRoads, part of a huge culture change that continues today.
- Became a parent – learnt what communication, creativity, negotiation, planning and community support was really all about!
- Started a publishing company about places and tourism. Won a start up award as a company to watch and lost all government sponsorship in the same week. Wound up company with a couple of magazines, and around half a million tourist maps completed. Bittersweet.
- Completed the Melbourne Tourism Industry Leadership Program having met some inspiring colleagues and learning a lot about myself.
- Indulged in my passion for knowing where we’ve come from, to understand where we are now, by enrolling in a Masters of Cultural Heritage.
- Combining my social marketing experience, community engagement, publishing and communications, I launched If creative strategy and work with great clients who want to cultivate communities, creative businesses and themselves. Worked on projects such as the launch of plain cigarette packaging, public transport funding campaign, volunteer engagement, place promotion of a multicultural food hub. Amazing.
- Extending this learning into a new business offering a creativity, reflection and fabulous content. Lore Makers.
My strengths include my curiosity about what you do and what works, my ability to recognise the other point of view, my big picture thinking, and ability to understand and present information in the new ways. I am a business developer and information curator. You can read more about my skills and career history on LinkedIn and I’d love to chat. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0413 420 282.